Saturday, September 15, 2012

Simpicity 1803 (Project Runway)

Hey, <3s. So I decided to use this pattern to make a party dress.
Pattern description: Retro dress w/ peek-a-boo neckline & peplum
Pattern sizing: 6-8
Fabric used: Floral silky satin
     I started with the top first due to limited cutting space. I cut it in a 6-8 and only used 1/2in. seam allowances. I lowered the neckline because it was way too high for me. I added purple piping to the front seams and the neckline. I finished the armholes with double fold bias tape. I also lined the top because my fabric was slightly see thru. Overall the top was really easy to construct.
   I was originally making this dress to wear to a party but it didn't get finished in time. Once I was fine with the top I decided to change the skirt.. Took me like a week to decide what I want to do.. I used this opportunity to make my own patter. Im no pattern maker so I wanted to try something easy. I chose a skirt with a peplum. I've been around pattern making enough to know the basic. I got the pattern for the peplum in the first try..it took me two tries on the skirt. I also added pockets (I love pockets!) using the pattern from the dress.
    Overall, with all the changes I made I think the dress came out awesome. Now I just need somewhere to wear it.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done? Yes, no..i changed it but it looks exactly the way I want it to.
Were the instructions easy to follow? I dont really read the instructions.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it it others? Yes, its a great little dress.
Lovely sewing,
       Cookie